Skip to content Skip to footer

Posts by: Advice Hub

Advice Column: Disabled Facilities Grant

I have a disability and I am struggling to live independently. Can I get any help with the costs of adapting my home? A disabled facilities grant is a grant that you can get from your local authority for work that is essential to help a disabled person live an independent life. You can, for […]

Advice Column: Home Improvements

Can I get help from the council to improve my home? A local authority can offer different types of help with home improvements. To find out if you can get help with home improvements and the help available in your area, contact your local authority. Your local authority may give you help to:- adapt, improve, […]

Advice Column: Council Tax Arrears

My first council tax bill of the year has come through and I know I’m not going to be able to afford it with so many other important bills to pay, let alone food. What should I do? Council tax arrears is a “priority debt”, which means you need to address it before paying off […]

Advice Column: Problem with builder

I’m having problems with a builder I employed to build a kitchen extension to our house. The foundations are laid, and he’s knocked through the back wall – the back of our house is now a tarpaulin sheet. We paid an initial deposit upfront, and then two further amounts in cash for materials. He’s now […]

Advice Column: Claiming Pensions

Two questions for you: I am close to retirement age and have received a letter telling me to claim my state pension online. I don’t have a computer and don’t know how to use one. Surely there must be another way to claim my pension. Can you help? I’ve also had a letter from the […]

Advice Column: Job References

I’m looking for a job – does my ex-employer have to provide a reference and what will it cover?   An employer does not have to provide a reference and, if they do, they can make it as short as they like. A lot of references only say what your job title was and when […]

Advice Column: Work Notices

I am leaving my job for a new one – how much notice do I need to give? If you want to leave your job you’ll normally need to give your employer advance warning. This is called your notice period. Look in your contract to see the notice you need to give. If there’s nothing […]

Advice Column: Online Dating Scams

I recently joined a dating website. I was contacted by a lovely man and we started to exchange messages. We now email every day, although we haven’t met in person yet. We had arranged to go for a meal, but then he cancelled because he needs to concentrate on fundraising for his daughter – the […]

Advice Column: Universal Credit Scams

I’ve heard there are Universal Credit scams. What is Universal Credit and what should I look out for?   Universal Credit has replaced these benefits for most people: Housing Benefit income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) Child Tax Credit Working Tax Credit Income Support You might be able to get Universal […]

Advice Column: Volunteering and Benefits

Hello. I am thinking about volunteering but am worried about my benefits stopping if I do. Do you have any advice? Volunteering is an opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, and help make a difference to others, build your confidence and share your knowledge and skills with others. You are allowed to volunteer […]