Skip to content Skip to footer

Money Advice – Service Delivery Leaflet

Extra help required

Please let us know if you need any extra help to access our services, for example: large print letters or an interpreter. You can do this by phoning our office and letting us know how we can help.

Appointment reminder

A few days before your appointment, we will call or text to remind you about your upcoming appointment. We will call you from a withheld telephone number. We will only leave a voice message if you’ve told us we can.

Appointment cancellation & rescheduling 

If you’re not available for your appointment for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible by calling us on 03300 563 037.

What you can expect from us

Your debt advisers will help you understand your rights and responsibilities and those of your creditors. The service is free, confidential, independent and impartial. If you wish to withdraw from the service, you can do so at no cost to you, at any time.

Wherever possible we will give you the information and resources you need to resolve the problem yourself. However, if the problem is complex or your personal situation mean this is not possible, we will support you through our casework service.

Citizens Advice is not able to enter into an ongoing debt management contract with you.

Our advisers will

  • Help you to explore your debt problem
  • Deal with any emergencies, such as court action, which may threaten your home.
  • Help you get a complete and accurate picture of your household finances.
  • Look for ways to increase your income and reduce your outgoings.
  • Help you to prioritise payments so the most important debts are paid first.
  • Explain the debt options you have and how they will affect you.
  • Keep you informed about any action we take and the progress of your case.
  • Close your file when your finances are under control or when you cease instructing us.

In return, we ask that you

  • Provide all the information and evidence your adviser asks for e.g. evidence of your income, spending and debts.  Failure to tell us everything may mean our advice is not correct.
  • Tell us about all money you owe – even if you are up to date with payments.
  • Do not negotiate directly with creditors before discussing it with your adviser.
  • Open, read and keep all correspondence from creditors.
  • Let us know if there is a change in your circumstances that may be affect your case (e.g. birth of a child, increase or reduction in your income).
  • Do not borrow more money or enter into a new credit agreement, unless this is your agreed strategy.
  • Keep to any agreements we make with your creditors.
  • Respond to any letters and messages from us.
  • Attend all appointments we arrange or let us know in advance, if you’re unable to make an appointment.

Please note:

  • Creditors may continue to add interest and charges to your debt(s).
  • Your credit rating could be affected if you enter into a payment arrangement or insolvency solution.
  • It is important that you continue to pay all your priority bills.

Confidentiality and consent

We collect and use your personal information to help solve your problems, improve our services and tackle wider issues in society that affect people’s lives.

We only ask for the information we need. We always let you decide what you’re comfortable telling us and we’ll explain why we need it and treat it as confidential.

The records we keep are for the use of Citizens Advice only.  We will not tell anyone about your enquiry, and we will not pass any information to any third party without your permission.

Further information and a copy of our Privacy Policy is available on request or by visiting:

Trusted Partners

In some circumstances we may refer you to a trusted partner for further help. This may be within the Citizens Advice service or outside of it.

We regularly review all our trusted partners to ensure they meet the highest standards of customer service and quality advice.

Complaints procedure

Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden’s debt advice is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 617808).  If you are not happy with the service or advice you receive, you have the right to make a complaint.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to investigate the matter for you.

Full details of our complaints policy are available on request or can be found at:

Details of the Financial Ombudsman Service can be found at: