Citizens Advice Carlisle and Eden
We provide free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on their rights and responsibilities to the people of both Carlisle and Eden districts.
To minimise the coronavirus-related health risks to our workers and clients, Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden is not providing a face-to-face service.
How can we help?
Get advice online from Citizens Advice
Follow us on social mediaMy Tweets
Volunteer with us
We are indebted to our volunteers who give their time and commitment to Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden. We couldn’t carry out our services without them.
Research & campaigning
Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden works at a local, regional and national level to speak up about the policies and services that cause people problems.
The stories our clients tell us provide a unique insight into the problems faced by the people in the Carlisle and Eden districts.
Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden is an independent charity and relies on grant funding and individual donations from people like you.
For every £1 invested in us, we benefit our clients by an average of £13.12
- I posted a parcel recently using a parcel comparison service – having carefully measured and weighed it prior to purchasing the appropriate postage rate (£30.40). The firm are now claiming that the width of the parcel was incorrect (they say it was audited by UPS) and they are demanding an additional £123 payment. I have responded electronically disputing this, and have provided the firm with an image showing the original parcel (taken to protect against any damage in transit issues) and comparison photos showing the same area of floor with the disputed dimensions marked on it. The firm has provided no evidence that the parcel measurements were different. I checked reviews of the firm and found a large number highlighting what appears to be a widespread overcharging scam. I have contacted Action Fraud about this but am yet to get a reply. In the meantime, the firm continue to demand £123. What else can I do? 13th January 2021
- I’ve fallen behind on my bills and the debts are building up, and there’s the costs of Christmas on top of this. I don’t know where to start? 4th January 2021
- Do I have to work over Christmas? 7th December 2020
- This Christmas has been a bit of a struggle – I did not start buying things early enough so was left with a lot to do and get and I overspent. I am determined that I will get my finances in order in 2021 and this will not happen again. Do you have any tips? 30th November 2020
- About five years ago my father-in-law was the victim of a scam artist who fleeced him out of £5,000. Once he realised, he was devastated and we were able to work with his bank to get some of the money back. We thought it was all in the past but in the last six months he’s received numerous calls, letters and texts from what look like other scammers. We want to try and keep him safe as his memory isn’t the best, what can we do? 24th November 2020