Why volunteer with your local Citizens Advice?
It’s great that you’re considering volunteering with Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden. If you’ve come to this page you’re probably wondering what we can offer you and what you’d like to do.
All sorts of people volunteer with us for many different reasons, but one thing that our volunteers tell us is that volunteering with Citizens Advice is enjoyable, rewarding, challenging and varied.
What our volunteers do?
We are indebted to our volunteers who give their service to Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden. We couldn’t carry out the services we offer to people without them. They carry out a wide range of roles to support the organisation.
Things you should know about volunteering with us:
- We require a high level of commitment from volunteers who we depend upon to deliver our service.
- We would request a commitment of one day a week on a regular basis.
- There is also a training requirement to fulfil your role which includes a mixture of self-study, on-line training, observations and face to face training days.
- We do interview all prospective volunteers and also have an IT assessment as part of the selection process, as IT competence is such a crucial part of our work.
- We do not accept everyone who applies to volunteer with us as we have to ensure the role is a good fit for you and for us.
- We cover volunteer travel expenses.
Skills and Qualities:
- Friendliness and approachability; be open minded and non-judgemental.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice Service, including an understanding of discrimination.
- Excellent verbal communication skills including telephone skills.
- Good organisational, numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to access relevant signposting information including electronic and written materials.
- Ability to implement administrative policies and procedures in a busy work environment.
- Good IT skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Awareness of the potential needs of, and demands placed on, vulnerable clients.