Skip to content Skip to footer

Advice Column: Job References

I’m looking for a job – does my ex-employer have to provide a reference and what will it cover?   An employer does not have to provide a reference and, if they do, they can make it as short as they like. A lot of references only say what your job title was and when […]

Advice Column: Work Notices

I am leaving my job for a new one – how much notice do I need to give? If you want to leave your job you’ll normally need to give your employer advance warning. This is called your notice period. Look in your contract to see the notice you need to give. If there’s nothing […]

Advice Column: Online Dating Scams

I recently joined a dating website. I was contacted by a lovely man and we started to exchange messages. We now email every day, although we haven’t met in person yet. We had arranged to go for a meal, but then he cancelled because he needs to concentrate on fundraising for his daughter – the […]

Advice Column: Universal Credit Scams

I’ve heard there are Universal Credit scams. What is Universal Credit and what should I look out for?   Universal Credit has replaced these benefits for most people: Housing Benefit income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) Child Tax Credit Working Tax Credit Income Support You might be able to get Universal […]

Advice Column: Volunteering and Benefits

Hello. I am thinking about volunteering but am worried about my benefits stopping if I do. Do you have any advice? Volunteering is an opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, and help make a difference to others, build your confidence and share your knowledge and skills with others. You are allowed to volunteer […]


Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden are working with the England Illegal Money Lending Team (IMLT) to steer residents away from borrowing from loan sharks in the lead up to Christmas.   To lend money lawfully you have to be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). People who lend money without being FCA authorised are […]

Advice Column – Council Tax Debt

I am struggling to pay my Council Tax again this month – what will happen? If you’ve missed a Council Tax payment, you’re in ‘arrears’ – this means you owe money to your council. Don’t wait for them to contact you. You should contact your council straight away. Ask to speak to someone in the […]

Advice Column – Payday Loans

Should I take out a Payday loan? Payday loans are an expensive way to help people over temporary problems. They are not suitable for longer-term difficulties. A loan from a credit union is more affordable – check if there’s a credit union in your area If you have a bank account, you may be able […]

Advice Column – Are you worried about student debts?

I’m just starting a degree and am worried about amassing debts? Students who graduate are more likely to have debts due to higher living costs, entertainment and tuition fees.  Here is some information to help maximise your income levels and help you to keep your spending under control. Tuition Fee Loan English or EU full-time […]

Student Housing

Student housing – lodgers If you rent a room in your landlord’s home and share some accommodation with them, then you may be what’s commonly known as a lodger. You may have your own room, usually a bedroom, but you don’t have exclusive use of that room. This means that your landlord can enter the […]