Skip to content Skip to footer

Category: News

Donate to CACE by your usual Amazon shop!

You can now donate to us simply by buying anything from Amazon! Follow the link below and select Carlisle & Eden Districts CAB (this is our registered name) and 0.5% of your purchase will be donated to us! This does not cost you anymore, however you will need to remember to shop using the same […]

Cold Callers

We have been contacted by people who have had cold callers claiming to be Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden or “CAB”. Don’t give out any personal details to cold callers claiming to be from us. These are almost certainly scam calls. If you suspect a scam, report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Preparing your finances for retirement

Get help with Pension Wise Pension Wise is a free and impartial service to help you understand what your pension options are. Find out more at When you can start getting your pension State pension You can claim state pension when you reach state pension age. Check when you’ll reach state pension age with GOV.UK’s state […]

National Consumer Week 2017

It’s National Consumer Week 2017. See the below information from the Citizens Advice website and useful videos from the Competition and Markets Authority and the UK European Consumer Centre. When you sign up for an offer you can end up making regular payments after it finishes – this is known as a subscription. It’s not […]

I rent a room and my landlord lives in the same house. What rights do I have?

If you rent a room in your landlord’s home and share some accommodation with them, then you may be what’s commonly known as a lodger. You may have your own room, usually a bedroom, but you don’t have exclusive use of that room. This means that your landlord can enter the room without your permission. […]

Cumbria Disaster Fund

If you have been affected by a local disaster, such as a flood, you may be able to apply for a grant from the Cumbria Disaster Fund. See below information and link for how to apply: Cumbria Disaster Fund Help for individuals and families Grants may be made for charitable purposes to relieve hardship in […]

Energy Bills

I am behind on my energy bills and my energy company wants to install a prepayment meter. I don’t want one as I’ve heard they can be more expensive than paying by direct debit. What can I do? Suppliers may try to install a prepayment meter if you are falling behind on your bills. This […]

Universal Credit Campaign: Response from John Stevenson MP

Our Carlisle office wrote to John Stevenson MP on 25/09/17 to raise our concerns with the roll-out of Universal Credit. We told Mr. Stevenson that we would like the Government to pause Universal Credit roll-out and fix these problems so that: ● No one is left waiting longer than 6 weeks for an income. ● […]

Advice Column: Compensation for train delays

Can I get a refund when my train is delayed? This advice applies to England only. You can get a full refund if your train journey is cancelled. If you’re delayed and arrive at your destination more than half an hour late, you’ll usually be able to get some money back. Some train companies will […]